Sep 9, 2011

{Butternut Squash Soup}


Ingredients:
- butternut squash
- 1 small onion
- carrot
- celery
- potato
- nutmeg
- cinnamon
- chicken broth (about 32 oz.)
- italien seasoning
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter

Peirce the squash with a fork, bake in the oven at 400 degrees for one hour.  Melt the butter in a pot on the stove, chop and add veggies, add seasoning, let cook for about 5mins. Pour the chicken broth over the veggies until covered. Bring to a boil, add the rest of chicken broth, cover, simmer for about 40mins. After squash is done, peel the skin and scoop out the seeds. Cut squash and add to veggie pot for a few minutes. Transfer the soup to the food processor in sections until the entire pot is pureed.

( I know, it looks like baby food. Never mind that.)

This whole process took me a little over an hour. You can alter the amount of veggies you use or add your own seasonings or other fun ingredients to it. I have heard that adding sour cream to this soup is great too. I didn't measure most of it because I was making it up as I went along. By the time I was done I ended up with a giant bowl of soup that is going to last me all week :)

You know what else? Plain butternut squash without any of the other veggies is real tasty too. So if you only have the squash, go for it.

Fun fact: In Ireland, all the soup is pureed. You never know what's in the soup, it just tastes really yummy. It's almost like solving a mystery.


I hope you enjoy making this as much as I did. Please tell me if you end up using this recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment